Mujer de Hierro

Mujer de Hierro
Iron Woman

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Los Migrantes Gringos del Norte y de la Costa Este y Oeste

I have never, in my 22 years of life been surrounded by so many warming and welcoming Gringos -White People. As I write of my feelings, I am aware that some people may be offended of my use of the term Gringo. Before you begin your judgements let me clarify the reason being. Gringos is a term that was used as early as 1750 as a nickname to foreigners or strangers. As of about three weeks ago, to me, this group of Gringos that I have met had been strangers and foreigners to my everyday life. Yes, there are Gringos where I live, but to say that I had ever had a close bond or feeling of acceptance between EVEN one would be a lie. As I sit here reminiscing over the occasional and inevitable run ins with these strangers that life placed in front of me, I am at awe. Occasions such as school settings, where I would be outnumbered by these Gringos in the honor and advanced placement classes. A feeling of discomfort, and unbelonging as I would quietly listen to conversations of their picture perfect life's. Trying to form connections to my own life in my head, but not a single link would form. Now I have a completely different experience with my NEW (1st) Gringo friends! I tell them story after story about my life growing up, my culture, my family, my identity! And they always want to know more! They want to try my parents tamales, menudo, and my mom's atole de arroz recipe. They want me to teach them Spanish, even though they  speak it much better than even myself! They are eager to speak it perfectly to communicate better with the ESL students at our volunteer site. My new amigos have brought me a new sense of hope. Hope that was very much needed in my life. I know for a fact that over the years, EVERY one of my new amigos and amigas (around 70 of them) will never be forgotten in my memories. They have left their marks in my life already by making the Great Migration down South. Migrating down South for one year of service to the South Texas community. Coming from prestigious universities and backgrounds, leaving their families and their "comfort" zones to work along my side for a better manana. I look forward to the next 10 months, working shoulder to shoulder with Los Gringos del Norte, de la Costa Este y Oeste, and their espiritu, discipline, proposito, and orgullo!

No comments:

Post a Comment